THIS WEEK'S MEAL: Beef flank steak with sesame marinade, pan roasted potatos and green salad
** this takes a lot more "at-home-just-before-dinner" time (50 minutes) but it's dinner party fancy and worth it. Good for the holidays.
THE DO AHEAD:
Grind 1/2 cup sesame seeds with 1/2 teaspoon salt (food processor or, even better, wipe out the coffee bean grinder well and use this). Place in plastic gallon bag. Add 1/4 cup wheat-free soy sauce (San-J makes a good one, found in natural or Aisian food stores), 1 Tbs. minced fresh ginger, several dashes lemon pepper, 2 cloves crushed garlic, 1Tbs. brown sugar, and 1/4 cup olive oil. Seal up bag and shake well, then add 1 good quality beef flank steak and place the bag in the fridge to marinate (at least 3 hours is best). Great to freeze at this point, so I usually do two at a time and freeze one for later.
2. slice 1 medium onion and about 2 cups mushrooms. Place in sealed container in fridge.
3. Wash 1 medium potato for each person and set aside
45 MINUTES TO MEAL TIME:
1. preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. pour 2 Tbsp. oil in pan and sautee mushroom and onion mixture along with 2 Tbsp. sugar, until lightly browned.
3. slice potatos in half lengthwise and place cut side down on an oiled and lightly salted cookie sheet.
4. lay flank steak out flat and cover with cooked muchrooms & onions. Roll up and tie with string. (You can just fold it and stuff it in a glass loaf pan, but it looks so much fussier rolled and tied). Pour remaining marinade from bag over meat. Convection bake 40 min for medium. May take slighlty longer on regular bake of if you like well done.
5. place potatos in oven with meat
6. make green salad (I just love those companies that make salad-in-a-bag, don't you?) Open red wine and taste test.
7. After 40 min, remove meat from oven. Let stand 5-10 minutes, if you have the time. Maybe serve the salad ahead? Slice meat into 1 inch thick slices and serve with potatos (scoop these off with a spatula, to preserve that lightly browned surface).
1. good quality flank steak
2. 1 meduim onion
3. about 2 cups sliced mushrooms
4. wheat free soy sauce
5. fresh ginger
6. lemon pepper
8. brown sugar
9. olive oil
10. 1/2 cup sesame seeds
13. salad greens
14. salad dressing (Your choice, check ingredients for things like "natural flavorings" which can contain gluten. Oil and vinegar made at home is also nice... recepies to follow at a later time...